World Bank seeks a qualified Project Engineer to work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager of the regional WBG and the overall supervision of the Director of the Division of Administration. The Project Engineer under the designated Region will support Project Manager to, oversee, and manage the operational aspects of ongoing projects and serve as a liaison between project management and planning, project team, and line management. Responsible for the day-to-day tactical duties for highly complex technical and non-technical programs or group of programs. In addition, the Project Engineer will support efficient project operations by problem-solving issues that arise, ensuring that they are resolved promptly, and in a compliant manner. This role will also provide support for day-to-day project operation activities and serves as a conduit between the field project staff and the corporate department/functional staff to maintain the smooth operations of the project.
The World Bank Group (WBG) is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries, a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners; invest in groundbreaking projects, and use data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable corporate accommodations for individuals with disabilities as well as new employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability. If you meet our profile and wish to join our unique diplomatic workforce, kindly forward your CV and cover letter immediately.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Analyzes, reviews and advises on the planning, site investigation, design, logistics, construction, maintenance, site utility integration and commissioning of systems and facilities for the project;
- "Day-to-day" management of the appointed Consultant, in charge of the Contract Management, reviewing deliverables and forwarding them to the Project Manager with eventual comments/remarks;
- Evaluates, reviews and revises project documents, and analyzes design specifications included in project proposals for accuracy, soundness, feasibility and cost and prepares reports;
- Recommends solutions to unusual engineering problems and provide expert technical advice on overall policies, procedures and guidelines pertinent to the project;
- Coordinates with the Procurement Unit with regard to technical assessment of received project bids, deliverables, and/or variations from vendors;
- Coordinates, as directed by the Project Manager the work of the consultants, contractors, and team members assigned, ensuring compliance with contractual and project obligations within the planned timeline and budget;
- Confirms Engineering and Architectural technical conclusions and applies common calculations;
- Advises the Project Manager on action to be taken with regards to suggested changes proposed by the Consultant;
- Oversees financial management aspects of the project, including the development of draft allotment requests and performance reporting; certify requisitions and approve payment of consultants and contractors as directed by the Project Manager;
- Keeps abreast, through relevant engineering literature, of significant trends and the development of improved methods and equipment;
- Leads efforts of team studying critical problems relating to design or construction of systems and facilities. Investigates and makes recommendations for resolution of problems in specialized area and maintains quality;
- Assists and supports the Project Manager in drafting reports for the Project Director as well as for the Stakeholders when required;
- Performs other related duties as required by the Project Manager and/or Director of Administration, and acts as Deputy Project Manager.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in engineering, architecture or other related field is required.
- A recognized first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree is an asset.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible professional experience in the management of architectural/engineering projects is required.
- Professional certification or membership of chartered institutes such as the Project Management Institute and Professional Engineering or Architectural Institute is highly desirable.
- Microsoft Project experience on construction projects and/or Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification from Project Management Institute (PMI) is desirable.
- Related experience at the international level and/or additional experience with implementing occupational safety and health standards in large scale construction/renovation projects, heritage preservation, is highly desirable.
- Language: English and French are the working languages of the WBG Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another WBG official language is an advantage.
- Assessment: Qualified applicants may be evaluated through a competency-based interview and/or other assessment methods.
- Professionalism: Ability to apply engineering, architectural, project management skills and to participate in engineering projects, including preparation of cost estimates, research of data and preparing graphs.
- Efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required;
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards;
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments;
- Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.