Health and safety, in particular, are incredibly important due to the risk of injury and death due to explosive hazards. The HSE Specialist will be responsible for assisting UNDP Peace and Security Cluster (PSC), particularly its Project Units, to reconcile existing mine action and other construction policies, standards and systems with UNDP Environmental Management System (EMS) and the Health & Safety (HS) system. The HSE Specialist will report to the Manager, Risk, Quality and Partnerships (RQP).
Working with us
UNDP believes that an inclusive culture attracts the best talent. Our diverse workforce delivers effectively by tapping into different perspectives, experiences, knowledge and approaches. We are leveraging our workforce’s potential, and achieving greater organizational excellence. UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. UNDP Passionate applicants should send their recent CV and cover letter accordingly. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Reporting to the Risk, Quality, and Partnerships Manager, the HSE Specialist will:
- Contribute to the analysis of UNDP’s HSE risk profile and determination of key controls;
- Provide technical advice to project developers on what needs to be included in project proposals to embed HSE management into new projects;
- Carry out training on EMS and HS in line with UNDP standards and best practices;
- Implement the process for incident reporting and analysis and for carrying out quantitative analysis of HSE performance;
- Assist project teams to develop and implement Environmental Management Plans (EMPs) and Health & Safety plans;
- Assist UNDP Project Units to establish monitoring of HSE performance through inspections, meetings, reporting and internal auditing;
- Assist UNDP Project Units to embed HSE issues into the processes of design and construction of infrastructure;
- Assist UNDP Project Units to meet UNDP HSE standards and, if necessary, to prepare for and meet the requirements of external audits for ISO 14 001 and OHSAS 18 001;
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the quality assurance system for mine action and construction sites.
- Advanced university degree (master or equivalent) in Health and Safety Management, Occupational Medicine, Environmental Science/Management, Civil Engineering, Natural Sciences or other relevant discipline with three years of relevant experience is required; OR
- First-level university degree (bachelor or equivalent) in Health and Safety Management, Occupational Medicine, Environmental Science/Management, Civil Engineering, Natural Sciences or other relevant discipline with Five years of relevant experience is required.
- Relevant experience is defined as experience in the area of environmental, health, or safety management systems.
- Experience in any mine action, civil or industrial construction, manufacturing or similar production environments is required.
- Experience in the delivery of environmental and health and safety management systems (preferably certified) in construction, manufacturing, mining or similar production environments is desired.
- Relevant experience working in developed or developing countries is required.
- Fluency in English both oral and written, is required;
- Working knowledge of another UN official language is an asset but not a requirement.
- Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.